Fox had a big month in June with almost all planned activities completed, but some spilling over into the month ahead in July. Here’s the latest deets:
How’d June go?
Pretty well considering the weather and the havoc it caused with some perfectly(!) laid plans. If you attended the Insideline DH race, you’ll know all about it! Across the course of June, trail building, weed spraying and earthmoving contractors experienced some serious stop/start delays due to weather, visibility and access.
- The earthmoving works to prep the new Fox Trail hub precinct have been completed. Parking reductions at the Top carpark will be removed from next week.
- New access and signage have been established to direct you from the carpark and around the precinct ‘dirt pad’. It’ll need some time to settle, so please stay clear and follow the track on what used to be the top of Green smoothie. You’ll see signs on either side of the containers.
- Speaking of containers, we can hardly contain ourselves (groan)….as these will be invaluable to the build and ongoing maintenance of the Park, by Vollie groups and ForestrySA alike. And yes, maybe maybe one might also become a trail feature…stay tuned for that.
- The Fox Logo Competition was run and won. Big thanks to the local schools for their involvement and to Molly Playford of Uraidla Primary School for the winning logo. This has now been handed to a professional design agency to use as the base for the official logo. We hope to have something to share in August.
- More trails have re-opened! One UP and one Down.
- Ducks Guts is open for business, thanks to ETS Trails. If you like what they do, give them a nod on FB/Insta. https://instagram.com/ets_trails.
- Dream Weaver has reopened thanks to Vollie trail care led by the Foxy Creakers. If you like what they do, give them a nod on FB/Insta. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1074861429289432 .We know this will be a welcome alternative to The Guts track.
Speaking of ‘The Guts’…
- We have our Strava comp ‘’Had a Gutsful’ Hillclimb winners for June. Carey Hannaford for June QOM and Ben Wheaton for June KOM. Branded Beanies/hats on their way to you!
The Comp will also run in July so keep setting some blistering GUTS times while we all wait for more UP trails to reopen. (Are you on the Fox Strava club? Join here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/915916 )
- Croft road has been graded, nice.
So, what will July bring?
Now that site prep on the Trail hub precinct has been completed, work on the new trail hub can commence, (subject to weather). We hope to be able to share designs soon.
- Middle Earth. The very real battle for Middle Earth (actual* image below) has raged since late May, however Destination Trails If you like what they do, give them a nod on FB/Insta. https://www.facebook.com/destination.trails have made significant in-roads to the mammoth task and with luck, we’ll see this critical trail open in August.
*Not actual image. Thanks to https://www.facebook.com/knarly.mtb for sharing this
- Next up for Trails in July will be the commencement of work on Green Smoothie and Fox Fast. Blue Groove will also undergo some maintenance.
- Work has begun to prep the lower carpark for expansion and facilities.
- Joint activity with the Native vegetation council will commence in July to arrange new trail alignments and possibilities.
- Work on the new Fox website has begun. It’s time to get a proper UX and bring together all the information on services in and around Fox Creek. Oh, and host your sik edits/photos.
Have you picked up the latest Australian Mountain Bike magazine? Yep, AMB are covering the Fox rebuild, check it out! https://www.facebook.com/AMBmag/photos/a.10155934542656839/10158974169491839
What about Forestry Operations in July? Are there still burns planned?
Yes, July will still see temporary closures of parts of the park due to fuel reduction burns, weed spraying and firebreak widening operations. Machinery and Forestry personnel will be moving around the park, resulting in zone rolling closures and make it even more important to stay out of the red zones highlighted on the Trailhead map boards.
Please be aware that ForestrySA is providing a ‘phased’ opening of the park across 2021. Many of the Trails will still be closed. The signboards, website and Trail forks will be continually updated, so download the Trail forks app and check the QR codes on the boards before you enter for updates.
So, the message is: Check before you enter the park.
Upcoming Survey: We’ll be releasing a Volunteer survey to better understand and give back to Vollies that make the magic happen for all users. Please keep an eye out and share this wide. Volunteer feedback will be integrated to the redevelopment and sustainment plan to make the #FutureFox dream a reality.
Open trails are only part of the equation, access at the upper and lower carparks will continue to be improved through minor and major works in preparation for future construction of amenities and better services. Road safety continues to be incredibly important, so please use Fox Creek Road and Croft Road with diligence and with respect to residents and other road users.
We’re pumped about the future of Fox which includes new Trail options, facilities (yes, toilets!) and greater bushfire resilience for the environment and the community. Your local clubs and Vollie groups are all co-ordinating to stand up Trail care days, so get in touch with them to sign up to helping bring Fox back better.